Skip to main
University-wide Navigation

The Office of Parent and Family Engagement would like to provide students with dependent(s) quick access to campus and community resources and serve as a referral for helpful information. Parent and Family Engagement staff are available Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m., in 116 Frazee Hall, at, or at 859-257-2752. 

If you are a student parent who is looking for assistance with food, housing, or mental health resources, please contact Triage, Referral, Assistance, and Crisis Support (TRACS) at 859-21-TRACS. 

For emergencies, please contact UK's Police Department by dialing 911 or texting #UKPD.

Academic Resources

The Office of Student Success maintains a full list of free campus tutoring resources available for students. For help accessing these resources or support finding resources not listed, email the Office for Student Success at or Parent and Family Engagement at

Below is additional information about resources specific to the needs of student parents.

Disability Resource Center

The University of Kentucky Disability Resource Center partners with qualified students with disabilities to assist them in gaining equal access to institutional programs and services consistent with their unique needs. The Center seeks to responsibly advocate the needs of students with disabilities to the campus community through consultation and outreach efforts with administration, faculty, students and University partners. The DRC serves students with a wide array of disabilities and this web site provides valuable information for students, parents, faculty and staff related to various responsibilities, services and programs of the office. If you cannot find the information you are seeking, please do not hesitate to call the DRC (859) 257-2754. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Evening Academic Support in The Study

Looking for tutoring assistance in the evening? They Study has evening and night hours on their drop-in tutoring schedule

Common Hour Study Groups meet in the evening.

Integrated Success Coaching offers evening hours where coaches will work with students to create a personalized action plan around topics such as goal setting, time management, study strategies, getting motivated, and stress management.

LEAP (Lab for Economics & Accounting) and the Business Analytics Lab offer some early evening tutoring services.

Presentation U, the Writing Center, and the Student Media Depot provide evening support throughout the week.

Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a series of weekly, peer-led group study sessions designed to support students enrolled in some of UK's most challenging courses. Evening SI groups are available.

Student Support Service (SSS) provides two types of tutoring: Individual and Small Group. Students can do a combination of the two as well. The tutor & tutee schedule the time that best suits their schedules, which allows for more flexibility.

Find Your Major

Looking to explore all of the majors UK has to offer? Check out UK's Academic Exploration Tool.

Not sure you are in the right major or want to consider other options? Stop by to see a Major Exploratory Advisor in the Stuckert Career Center.

Free Tutoring Resources

The Office of Student Success maintains a full list of free campus tutoring resources available for students. For help accessing these resources or support finding resources not listed, email the Office for Student Success at or Parent and Family Engagement at

UK Online

With more than 80+ undergraduate and graduate degrees and certificate programs offered 100% online, you can choose the path to success that's right for you.


Veterans Resource Center

Supporting and advocating for veteran and military-connected students through fostering community, assisting with college transitions, and processing GI Bill certification. The Veterans Resource Center is part of the Office for Student Success.

Career and Financial Resources

Career Advising in the Stuckert Career Center

Visit the Stuckert Career Center to receive assistance in various aspects of your academic and career journey, such as choosing a major, crafting a career path, devising effective job-search methods, and more. 

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS) provides students with part-time employment to help meet college costs and, if possible, provide work experience related to their field of study. FWS is federally funded and need-based. Eligibility is determined from information provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). A variety of FWS positions are available. Virtually every college and department use FWS in some capacity. Positions are available in libraries, laboratories (from anthropology to zoology), student services and academic departments, the Singletary Center, Gatton Student Center and the Johnson Center. Off-campus jobs with non-profit agencies provide opportunities to work directly with the community.  

Jobs, Internships, and Co-ops in Handshake

The University of Kentucky’s Career Services has a fast and powerful recruiting platform for UK students and alumni. Handshake uses cutting-edge technology to help you more easily connect with employers and other students within the platform. 

Part-time Jobs on UK Jobs Board

Students looking for a part-time job on campus should check out UK's Jobs Board at

UK Invests

UK Invests is a new, first-of-its-kind initiative nationally that will help students build a foundation of financial literacy, allowing them to achieve greater financial security, career readiness and well-being. Learn more at

Wildcat Network

The Wildcat Network is a free online community exclusive to University of Kentucky alumni, students, parents, and campus partners. It provides a directory and mentorship platform and is designed to empower connections across the globe through personal and professional networks.

Child Care Assistance

Kentucky Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)

CCAP helps low income families pay for child care. Find out if you are eligible for Kentucky CCAP

Childcare/Dependent Grants

This Childcare/Dependent Grant, sponsored by UK's Student Government Association, is for full-time students who have dependents. Regardless of the severity of circumstances, SGA is happy to offer $1,000 to students with at least one (1) dependent or $1,500 for students with multiple (2+) dependents. The application seeks to validate that students have a dependent and gives an opportunity in the form of a short essay to share additional information. To clarify, a dependent is defined as anyone that the student may have legal guardianship over. This can include children (biological or adopted) and/or any other persons whom the student legally cares for (ex. Power of Attorney). This does not include spouses. Students may apply to this grant once per academic year, or until funding is no longer available. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Academic and Student Affairs Chair at

Finding Your Wildcat Community


BBNvolved is an online platform where students connect to campus organizations, programs, and departments. It is the home to 600+ student organizations and helps them manage their organizations while also providing an easy way for you to get connected to them!

Community Clusters on BBNvolved

Looking for a small group of people with similar experiences to connect with on campus? Search and sign up for a "Community Cluster" meet-up on BBNvolved. New Community Clusters meet each semester.

Graduate Student Congress

The mission of the Graduate Student Congress (GSC) is to unify and represent graduate students, professional students, and postdoctoral scholars at the University of Kentucky in matters affecting quality of life, and to facilitate interdisciplinary collaboration and professional development through seminars, forums, outreach programming, advocacy, and community enhancement.

Parents Attending Law School (PALS)

PALS aims to support law students who are also parents. Parents of all ages, with kids of all ages are welcome! We know that law school is hard, and being a parent complicates matters. This is a group of parents, for parents to engage in meaningful fellowship while providing support and information to help each other as well as incoming non-traditional law students. 

Spill the Tea

Connect with Student Support Services to learn more about Spill the Tea events throughout the semester.

Student Parent Organization

The Student Parent Organization (SPO) brings together and creates a supportive environment for enrolled students at the UK who are actively raising children. 

Food Resources

Students living on or off campus can purchase a meal plan through UK Dining. Below are additional food resources available to students.

Big Blue Pantry

It can be challenging to do your best in class if you have trouble meeting your basic needs such as being hungry or worried about when your next meal will be. 

If this is you, you can come to the Big Blue Pantry (located on the ground floor of Frazee Hall, next to the Gatton Student Center) and take a bag of food items while being mindful that there are others needing this shared community resource for emergencies. We ask that Pantry visits be limited to three visits per month and if you must utilize this resource regularly, we will connect you with the Financial Wellness program to get budgeting and other financial support. Or you might be eligible for the Swipe Ahead program.

Food Connection

The Food Connection serves farmers, food producers, students, and consumers by cultivating creative strategies and partnerships to support a vibrant, healthy, and equitable local food economy. On and off campus, we support innovative and interdisciplinary instruction and research, and deliver high-impact services and programs related to local food systems development. We value Kentucky-grown food and farmers, fostering community partnerships, and leveraging research and education as a foundation for exciting events at The 90 and around Kentucky.

One Community Café

Located on the second floor of Erikson Hall, the mission of ONE, the on-campus community café, is to provide enrolled UK students access to balanced, nutritious meals for just $1.00. Stop in and get an entrée and 2 sides to-go, with vegan options available.

Supplemental Nutrition Program (SNAP)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps low-income people buy food for healthy meals at participating stores. Kentucky SNAP benefits increase household food buying power when added to the household's income. Find out if you might qualify for SNAP

Swipe Ahead

The Swipe Ahead program is intended for UK students experiencing food insecurity.  Applications are open during the Fall and Spring semesters. 

If accepted, an initial amount of 10 meal swipes will be loaded to your UK Student ID within two business days. You will then be asked to meet with a TRACS staff member to assess for ongoing need and access to additional swipes/vouchers and/or other resources.

Housing Resources

Graduate and Family Housing

University Graduate and Family Housing strives to provide a safe, healthful, well maintained, clean, and accessible living and learning environment at a reasonable price for full-time student families, full-time single graduate and doctoral students, and full-time non-traditional students. Full-time graduate, professional or non-traditional students at the University of Kentucky or Bluegrass Community and Technical College qualify for Graduate and Family Housing. If space permits, visiting scholars, interns, post-doctoral and medical residency students, or others who have an education association with the university can also apply for living accommodations.

Housing Insecurity - Emergency Basic Needs Fund

Today’s student faces increased costs of higher education while federal grants and loans continue to shrink. Many students are one emergency away from dropping out of school because of their inability to pay their bills. The solution we have turned to are emergency award grants.  These grants are typically around $500 and can support students who are experiencing a financial crisis, that for many of us would be an uncomfortable hit to our savings account, but for these students, it may mean walking away from an undergraduate or graduate degree.  

Students must apply for these emergency grants and provide the necessary information and documentation. This process allows for student at financial risk for leaving to institution to connect with a Basic Needs Coordinator who can provide additional resources, referrals, and financial education. 

Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (KTAP)

Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (KTAP) is the monetary assistance program established using federal funds from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families block grant. KTAP provides financial and medical assistance to needy dependent children in Kentucky and the parents or relatives with whom the children live. KTAP also helps families find jobs or get training that leads to a job.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

LIHEAP is a federally-funded program to help eligible low-income households meet their home heating and/or cooling needs.

The Kentucky LIHEAP program helps approximately 150,000 Kentucky families pay their heating bills each winter. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services allocates funding to Kentucky through the Cabinet for Health and Family Services, which contracts with Community Action Agencies across the state to receive LIHEAP applications and provide recipient benefits.

Transportation Resources

Commuter Parking Permits

Transportation Services offers a limited number of student commuter parking permits to eligible students within reasonable proximity to desirable campus destinations.

Commuter permits provide off-campus student commuters with the highest level of convenience and predictability at a higher price point than periphery parking. The number of permits issued for designated commuter parking areas is monitored closely to ensure that permit holders will generally be able to find parking within their assigned lot, garage or area. Commuter parking is ideal for students who desire more convenient access to campus than periphery parking can offer.


Lextran and the University of Kentucky partner to provide the Free City Transit program. Free City Transit allows all UK students, faculty, staff, and retirees to ride any Lextran route for free, simply by showing their valid Wildcard ID. You must present your Wildcard ID each time you board. The program is available year-round. Keep in mind some routes run on an abbreviated schedule or not at all during summer months and holidays.

Wildcab Vouchers

Wildcab Vouchers is a late-night on-demand student transportation partnership with Uber, offering students a voucher for discounted Uber rides.

Wellness Resources

Evening/Night Recreation Options

Alumni Gym, Johnson Center, Seaton Center, and Lancaster Aquatic Center are all open during evening or night hours.

Help Navigating Challenges

The Center for Support and Intervention is a team of non-clinical case managers dedicated to helping students navigate life stressors during their time at the University of Kentucky. Our case managers are trained to work flexibly and creatively with students to support them through various challenges. With an in-depth knowledge of the resources, on and off campus, our office provides care and support to students by identifying their needs and making the connection they need to be successful.

Lactation Rooms (On-Campus)

UK has more than 20 designated lactation spaces across campus. Other temporary spaces may be available or offered to accommodate your needs. Any private office or conference room may be used. Find a lactation space near you.

Massage Chairs

Enjoy a 25-minute massage in our comfortable, calming massage chairs. You may schedule an appointment or drop-in. Available in two locations. 105 Mandrell Hall or 401 Multidisciplinary Science Building

Pregnancy and Parenting Protections

Title IX and University policy protect pregnant or parenting students from discrimination in education programs and activities. For more information, visit the Office of Institutional Equity and Equal Opportunity.

Student Health through UHS

If you are a full-time UK student, you have access to unlimited, free office visits at the campus medical clinic, University Health Service (UHS), through the Health Fee.

The Health Fee is one of the mandatory fees assessed to full-time undergraduate and graduate students during the fall and spring semesters. The health fee cannot be waived, even if a student has their own health insurance. The health fee is only added when a student is full-time and taking on-campus classes. Students who are part-time or taking online classes are eligible to purchase the Health Fee. This can be purchased through Student Billings or at UHS. 

The UK Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is a customized insurance plan that is available for students to purchase. SHIP is contracted with Academic Health Plans and Anthem BlueCross BlueShield. This health plan is intended for medical care beyond your Health Fee and includes coverage for services not included in the Health Fee. 

UHS-UKHC is able to bill private and commercial insurance for services not covered by the Health Fee, or if you are a self-pay patient. Most insurance companies are in network with UHS-UKHC, however prior to your appointment we highly recommend you call the customer service number on the back of your card to make sure your private or commercial insurance is in network.

Triage, Referral, Assistance, and Crisis Support (TRACS)

TRACS is a physical and virtual one-stop unit where students can come for a referral to supportive services (housing, rent, utilities, food) or receive direct clinical support for a range of mental health needs and crises. We have specifically designed our Basic Needs/Mental Health ecosystem in a way that at its core, it includes mental health security, housing security and food security. We are laser focused on supporting students to be successful so they may go on to live a life of meaning and purpose.